Coq Au Vin is definitely some serious comfort food. A French dish traditionally cooked with a whole rooster and Burgundy wine. In this recipe, I use chicken thighs and white wine (Coq Au Vin Blanc).
Personally, I prefer this white wine version instead of the red wine. If you are looking for something new to do to chicken thighs then this recipe will reward you with a meal that you will cook over and over.
Products to help cook your White Wine Coq Au Vin Chicken Thighs Recipe
White Wine Coq Au Vin Chicken Thighs
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 Carrots
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 2 Onions Medium, cut into eighths
- 4 cloves garlic Diced
- 4.5 lbs Chicken Thighs About 10 thighs
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups White Wine Nothing too sweet. I used Pinot Grigio 1/2 cup divided
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- olive oil
- Fry your bacon and save the bacon fat. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Chop carrots about an inch in length.
- Chop onions into eighths.
- Cut mushrooms in half.
- Dice garlic and set aside in a seperate dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cooking in batches using olive oil and bacon fat, place chicken in skillet over medium heat skin side down. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Don't cook too fast. You're trying crisp the skin and render as much fat out as you can. Cook the other side about 2 minutes. Set chicken aside on a dish.
- When you are done with the chicken pour about 1/2 cup of wine into the skillet scrape all the bits off the bottom of the skillet. Set aside in a dish.
- Put a tablespoon olive oil and the butter in a skillet and add mushrooms, carrots and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until the mushrooms release their liquid and start shrinking.
- Put four sprigs of fresh thyme in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the vegetables from the skillet, the wine you cleaned the skillet with, broth and cup of white wine.
- Add the chicken.
- Top with garlic, bacon and more fresh thyme. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and lower temperature to 350 degrees and cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and some egg noodles or mashed potatoes.