Don’t even think about using that stuff in the can. This enchilada sauce is too easy to make and it tastes so much better.
Use it on enchiladas, burritos or for a twist on Huevos Rancheros slip a couple fried eggs on a couple of warm corn tortillas and substitute this sauce for the salsa. Feel free to experiment with different types of chiles.
Products to help cook your Enchilada Sauce
- 2-4 Dried Chile Use Ancho, Anaheim, Aji Panca, Guajillo, New Mexico or what ever your favorite pepper is. Stem and seeds removed
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Chocolate Roux
- Start by putting your water in a small pot and heat until almost boiling. Remove seeds and stems from the chilies.
- Remove the water from the heat and add the chilies and cover. Let sit until rehydrated. About 30 minutes.
- After chiles are rehydrated, add all other ingredients to your blender. I use my Nutri-Bullet. Puree until smooth.
- Pour into a pot and heat to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes stirring often. Serve hot over your favorite enchiladas.